This list of Business Intelligence tools below (click on the names for details) covers at least 90% of the market. Many of the BI vendors are trying to convince people that their software can do nearly everything, but from our research we know they don’t. Learn more about the different BI tools in the market.
The list of Business Intelligence tools
The list of BI tools below is in random order, the order in which they appear have no significance in terms of how highly the products scored in our study. For a 100% vendor independent ranking – on 169 key selection criteria – download and use our BI Tools comparison matrix and save time in selecting the best BI tool or platform for your needs.
- SAP BusinessObjects: a complete BI platform
- IBM Cognos Series 10: strong in analytics
- JasperSoft: open source, now TIBCO
- Microsoft BI tools: a complete BI platform
- MicroStrategy: strong in reporting & performance
- Oracle BI (OBIEE): a complete BI platform
- Oracle Hyperion System: tool for consolidation
- Pentaho BI: open source, now HDS
- Yellowfin BI: strong in dashboards
- Qlik: strong in Data Discovery
- SAP NetWeaver BW: data warehouse + cubes
- SAS BI: very strong in analytics
- Style Intelligence: a niche player
- Tableau Software: strong in Data Visualization
- WebFOCUS: a complete BI platform
- BizzScore: strong in performance management
- Board: strong in performance management
- Birst: a complete BI platform in the cloud
How do the BI tools in the list compare?
The tools in the list of BI tools above are compared on 169 key selection criteria in our Business Intelligence Tools Comparison Matrix 2015. This 100% vendor independent comparison shows both the strengths and weaknesses of all the major BI tools in the market. In addition it contains expert reviews, an assessment based on 70,000 user opinions, many tips and a comparison matrix with all the details.
Why are certain BI tools not on this list?
Many software vendors believe they are providing a complete business intelligence platform. They approach us to get to be included in our survey. And it is our intention to include all the significant BI solutions in our survey but to do this we need the full cooperation of the vendor. We have sent them our questionnaire (169 questions), processed the answers, produced the statistics (comparison graphs) and then we never hear from them again. We assume, they didn’t like the results. That is why the niche players Arcplan, Spotfire, Talend, Actuate and Panorama software were not included. In a number of cases vendors have said that they will cooperate but we are still waiting for their answers to (difficult) questions.
Get it right with our Business Intelligence tools comparison
Our comparison contains many graphs and tables that will give you the right insights into all the features of the different BI tools almost instantly.
Figure: An example of one of the many graphs in our survey. The overall score and the scores in the different categories reveals big differences, even between the old market leaders Cognos and BusinessObjects. The names of the different tools in this example are removed.
One of the main reasons why we did establish our study was that in our experience almost all the vendors try to let you believe that their solution can do everything. And we know they are often not telling the whole truth. There are sometimes huges differences between the BI tools.
Other reasons were:
- we want to establish a genuine vendor independent study (vendors don’t need to pay)
- we want to give our customers a powerful instrument for tool and vendor selection
- we want to give away the details so anyone should be able to do the math on it’s own
Our study reveals both the strengths and weaknesses of the different BI tools.
Different categories of BI tools
Example Yellowfin (2 minute overview)
What if your favorite BI tool is not on this list?
If the business intelligence tool you want more information on is not on the list of BI tools and you would like it to be included in our Business Intelligence Tools Survey, please fill out the evaluation request form and we will evaluate the business intelligence tool for free.