Artificial Intelligence: a fad?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is seen by experts as the technology behind the fourth industrial revolution. Managers, directors, or consultants who think that AI is a passing fad run the risk of missing the boat. Algorithms are already throwing off Bach scholars, who can’t always tell the difference between a piece composed by an algorithm and one from the master himself. Artificial Intelligence is going to have a huge impact on society, jobs, companies, and other organizations. How? We’ll tell you on this page with trends, in-depth articles, and successful practical implementations.
AI is back on the agenda
An old term from 1960 has been given new life. AI is taking off at record speeds, encourages by applications from large data factories. The algorithms already existed, but the massive volumes of data were missing, which left AI lagging behind. Read more about it in this article.
AI is disruptive
When you or your competitor successfully implements Artificial Intelligence, your branch will definitely feel its effects. It’s important to know how to successfully implement AI in your organization. Of course, you have to know what the areas of application, pitfalls, and risks are, because there are always risks. Important questions here are:
- Which areas of application and use cases can you discover for your organization, and how can you find them?
- What (new) expertise do you need to build a successful team that can implement AI in your organization?
- What is the relationship between AI, innovation, and new business models, and who should you involve in this project?
- Which technologies and tools are at your disposal in order to develop the artificial intelligence systems?
- What consequences can AI have for your division of labor, management, and employment opportunities? And what is the best way to deal with that?
Do you have one or more of these questions and do you want to improve using artificial intelligence? Let yourself be inspired by the AI specialists of Passionned Group.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
A definition of artificial intelligence (AI):
The development and application of computer algorithms that are able to discover new or existing correlations in (big) data, drastically improving the efficiency and effectiveness of a process.
This definition shows that AI is about registering and and receiving the correct data and developing intelligence. Aside from that, this definition displays an ambition: performing better than yesterday and better than the competition.
Some applications for AI
- One of the Dutch banks developed an algorithm that recognizes fraudulent transactions that have to be reported by law. In this case, it’s crucial to keep the amount of false positives as low as possible. This bank has to keep adjusting the model to stay one step ahead of criminals.
- A worldwide employment agency can use AI algorithms to predict which companies will need workers in the near future. They combine all sorts of public data with internal data. This increases the effectiveness of account managers in reaching new customers and markets.
- An oil company equipped important parts of its pumping equipment with various sensors, including temperature sensors. These sensors continuously generate data that is sent to a data center in real time. An algorithm can detect patterns that indicate wear and tear or other defects. Based on this information, the oil company can perform preventive maintenance to keep the pumps working.
- An algorithm determines where the police patrols. Not only weather, but also the behavior of repeat offenders determines where the police officers are sent on a particular day.
We believe that in every sector, artificial intelligence will make the difference between successful and unsuccessful organizations.
Every industry will have to deal with artificial intelligence
The demand for data scientists and data analysts is insatiable. They’re approached by recruiters every single day, to the point of annoyance. For other industries the prospects are less rosy: bankers, appraisers, taxi drivers, teachers, planners, insurance agents, doctors, artists, and accountants are, or will be, in trouble.
The middleman and the specialist is disappearing. Why? Because artificial intelligence will take over the task of evaluation. Digital disruption is preying on a lot of industries. Society will change and politicians will have to create new policies that allow people and new technologies to coexist. Harvard Business Review wrote an interesting article on this topic.
The technology behind and next to AI
Artificial intelligence is a concept that works with data, preferably large quantities of it that are continuously supplied. This allows the algorithm to be self-learning, and to keep functioning well. The technologies that often play a role in successful AI are:
- Sensors that generate data and say something about the condition of a device, person, machine, or environment. For example heart rate monitors, humidity sensors, thermometers, decibel meters, etc.
- Photography is sometimes called the new universal language. You can take a picture of a mole and an algorithm can say whether you’re at risk or not.
- Big Data is the collective name for all data that’s too big, too ephemeral or too complex for a regular database. We’re talking about documents, emails, photos, films, tweets, reviews, apps, sound recordings, and log files. This data is stored in data lakes.
- Programming languages such as R, Python, RapidMiner, and SAS allow organizations to develop models using advanced data mining, text mining and image processing.
- Drones, self-driving cars, robotics, apps, and REST APIs make it so that artificial intelligence can be easily embedded into daily life.
We’ve listed all the tools that support artificial intelligence here.
Our AI specialists
Senior consultant Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Associate Partner AI & author of the book 'Success with Big Data'
Advantages of Passionned Group
- Multi-disciplinary approach with specialists in agile working, strategy, and IT.
- Service from A to Z: from knowledge bank to AI training courses to interim services.
- Successful customer cases that will appeal to you and create awareness.
- Our goal is helping you evolve as an intelligent organization.
- We are 100% vendor-independent and only serve your interests.
Get started with artificial intelligence today
Do you want to make large, difficult subjects bite-sized and easy to understand, and take small steps towards implementing artificial intelligence with a broad perspective? Feel free to contact one of our AI specialists and let yourself be surprised by our unique, data-driven approach.
About Passionned Group
Passionned Group is a leading analyst and consultancy firm specialized in Business Analytics and Business Intelligence. Our passionate advisors assist many organizations in selecting the best Business Analytics Software and applications. Every two years we organize the election of the smartest company.