At the recent annual SQL Server user conference (PASS) there were some exciting news and announcements. Microsoft’s BI team recaps the most important news as follows. Corporate Vice President Ted Kummert of Microsoft shared his views on the ‘New World of Data’. He disclosed a number of important announcements.
- Ted unveiled the final name for the next SQL Server release: SQL Server 2012. Not really a big surprise.
- In addition the VP disclosed an end to end roadmap for Big Data. Microsoft is going to support the Apache Hadoop platform in 2012.
Microsoft Mobile BI initiatives
Finally, Microsoft is committed to delivering highly interactive and immersive BI experiences across different mobile BI applications & devices to all users wherever they are*. Their approach and roadmap for fulfilling this vision consists of:
- Ensuring existing corporate web based business intelligence solutions run in browsers across iOS and Windows devices in the first half of 2012.
- Delivering great touch-based data exploration and visualization capabilities in a browser on iOS (Apple), Android and Microsoft platforms in the second half of 2012.
- Delivering the best in class rich and immersive experience of the Microsoft BI platform on Windows 8.
* More than 75% of those who voted in a recent Passionned Survey believe that business intelligence will become completely mobile in the near future. See the article ‘The future of business intelligence is mobile’.
Details in the SQL Pass Recap.